Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"IF I PICKED THE OSCARS" - 2009

As a build up to the Academy Awards on Sunday night, I will be looking back at some recent years and tell you what films and what actors I think should've picked up the honours.

We start with 2009, a year where Kathryn Bigelow's "The Hurt Locker" swept the stage with six wins, including Best Director and Best Picture. Here is what happened if I had picked the Oscars last year:

BEST PICTURE
MY PICK: INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
WON: The Hurt Locker


                                               

It was a bit of a painful year for me to endure last year because the whole race was about the battle between Avatar and The Hurt Locker, the "David vs Goliath"-like story. I wasn't a big fan of either film, and as much as I was resigned to the fact that either was going to win, I was really hoping we'd get a surprise (even though I knew it wasn't going to happen). I really disliked Avatar, and as much as the movie was visually appealling, it couldn't take away from the absolutely torrid cliched script and storyline. I was happy The Hurt Locker won for the mere fact that I was thinking "anything but Avatar, please!". My major problem with The Hurt Locker, again, was a script thing. Technically it was sound, but it lacked a strong cohesive storyline and structured characters. To me, it was just one disarming bomb scene after the other with no sense of development or anything.
I had three films that stuck out to me last year: Inglorious Basterds, Up and Up in the Air. It was a close pick, but I gave it to Inglorious Basterds as it was the best acted, written and directed film of the year. It broke boundaries and was so outrageous that one could only applaud. Along with the best acting performance of the year in Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds is my "Best Picture of 2009".


Here's the rest of my picks for the major awards:

BEST DIRECTOR
MY PICK: QUENTIN TARANTINO (INGLORIOUS BASTERDS)
WON: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)

Tarantino's direction was flawless in his fictitious WWII epic. The opening 20 minutes especially is absolutely brilliant. Such a pity Tarantino didn't win here. :(

BEST ACTOR
MY PICK: GEORGE CLOONEY (UP IN THE AIR)
WON: Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)

I'm a big fan of Jeff Bridges, mainly for his iconic role as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski", and he is most certainly a worthy winner here. I do, however, feel that George Clooney should've won for his subtle yet emotionally-charged performance in "Up in the Air". I am not a huge fan of Clooney, but he was outstanding here.

BEST ACTRESS
MY PICK: GABOURNEY SIDIBE (PRECIOUS)
WON: Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side)
The whole year was a two-horse race between Bullock and Streep, which was a disappointment because I felt that Sidibe was more deserving then both. Totally convincing as the struggling 16-year-old girl who has to deal with pregnancies and parental abuse, Sidibe gives us a heart-warming and moving performance that would've been worthy of any award.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
MY PICK: CHRISTOPH WALTZ (INGLORIOUS BASTERDS)
WON: Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)

Not just the best acting performance of the year, but his performance is one of the best of all time. Waltz is absolutely mesmerizing in every scene as the charming, eloquent yet brutal Nazi killer, that he makes us love and hate him at the same time. After watching the opening sequence of the film, I said to myself: "This man is going to win the Oscar". That was in July even beore I saw any of the other nominees. And I'm glad I was right.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS -
MY PICK: MONIQUE (PRECIOUS)
WON: Monique (Precious)

When one thinks of great dramatic acting, one wouldn't normally have though of the comedian Monique. That all changed with one stunning performance as the domineering, abusive mother in Precious. Monique delivers on every level where we see such realism in her performance. Totally deserving of the recognition she received.

No comments:

Post a Comment